Wednesday 13 May 2009

Christa Schroeder - "He Was My Chief"



I received my advance copy of Christa Schroeder's memoir: He Was My Chief, yesterday. Its a fascinating book.

Schroeder was the most senior of Hitler's four secretaries. She had been with him from before 1933 and stayed right up to the grim end in the bunker in Berlin in 1945, and was one of the very few Germans who had the opportunity to observe Hitler close up and to chart his physical decline over the war years. As a result, she is one of the best eye-witnesses of the period, and her memoir is full of fascinating anecdotes and observations.

It was first published in Germany in the 1980s, but for some reason no English-language edition was produced until the current one. Frontline books, therefore, are to be congratulated on a real coup. I am sure that the book will be a great success.

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/?product_id=1895

http://www.amazon.co.uk/He-Was-My-Chief-Secretary/dp/1848325363/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242199878&sr=8-1

No comments: